When seeking diabetes healthcare, it’s rare to find a person who delivers advice that he or she has felt. In speaking with Kim, you know she lives and breathes every word of her life lessons with a no fear philosophy. Ryan and Amber went to school.
Fortunately for us, she’s also a CDE (certified diabetes educator). Diagnosed at 5 years old with type 1 diabetes, Kim found her calling as a CDE (and RN) with Diabetes Solutions Oklahoma since it’s inception in 2000. As the Executive Director of Diabetes Solutions, Kim manages new family education for type 1 diabetes, pump therapy training, and ongoing patient consultations. During the podcast, she answered a question over text about what to bolus for a certain number of carbs–she’s committed.
We love her openness toward the patient’s own experience, letting their purpose in life guide the direction of therapy, with no fear.
- Would you like to share your story? How do you live your creative, real life with the diabetes? Scope out what we look for in a guest post HERE!
- Amazon is kind enough to throw a little change our way whenever you click on this banner before shopping for all of your holiday goodies. You can bookmark it to make it easier for future shopping.
- We’re ONE question shy of recording the next Ask Us Anything episode. For the love of all things holy, drop us a question via the SpeakPipe link in the right side of your screen.
- Like, click or comment on what we’re up to via social media.
HAPPY DIAVERSARY – RYAN, January 15 & AMBER, January 28th!
- Join us at the Sugar Surfing Conference with Dr. Stephen Ponder, hosted by Diabetes Solutions Oklahoma on April 8th.
- Support Kim’s 50th birthday celebration GoFundMe that pushes forward Diabetes Solutions to the next level!
- Shout out to the JDRF TypeOneNation Summit
- Diabetes Solutions Of Oklahoma– Identifying how diabetes affects individuals, the community, the state & the nation.
- Hypothetical Facts On Ketones – NOT Keystones (Amber was tired)
- Not enough insulin
- Lacking nutrition
- No one lives in a clinical setting
- Breaking down the word diabetic
- Kim is a person with diabetes, she’s not a disease.
- The more a person refers to themselves as a diabetic, the more they complain about everything in life.
- Kim’s philosophy: She’s working to change the culture of diabetes in Oklahoma!
- For all of the links to the various camps via Diabetes Solutions, check out their website.
- People don’t forget to stalk up on low BG stuff. You can purchase them via Amazon…
- Kim helped Amber put on her first Dexcom after the show. Here’s the result (spoiler: she survived):
- RESET – We’re pushing pause and will relaunch on February 15th, 2017 with new content and new style. Interested in joining the DDG Posse… CLICK HERE for details.
Please let us know if you want us to chat about a particular topic for bring on a guest… Shoot us an email.
We would LOVE an iTunes review. It helps us immensely!
Cheers to the highs and lows everyone.
We’re excited to keep the episodes coming and could use your help. Check out the PayPal link below if you’re interested!