The DDG team is honored to be advisory board members for OU Harold Hamm Diabetes Center’s Camp Blue Hawk, a 5-day residential camp for children with type 1 diabetes that focuses on improving camper’s quality of life. In this podcast we chatted with high school student, twin, cello/bass playing and volleyball champion, Paul and his mother. He shares his honest reflection on what camp was like with stories of clean latrines, good food and forgetting he had diabetes. Well, not really, but it felt good to be surrounded by his peers and a few medical folks (Children’s board-certified pediatric endocrinologists, certified diabetes educators, nurses, registered dietitians, clinical psychologists, pharmacists, and medical counselors). Camp Blue Hawk, in it’s second year, encourages independence and gives T1D parents peace of mind.
- Ryan gave out the wrong link during the show for Camp Blue Hawk’s Facebook page. Here’s the correct link!
- The Harold Hamm Diabetes Center is the host for Camp Blue Hawk. We did a podcast show about them a few months back.
- Interested in helping send more T1D kids to camp, CLICK HERE to join the Thousands Strong campaign.
- Don’t forget about the powerful message we shared from the Podcast #16 with T1Dexposed = Shed The Shame!
- We hope you enjoyed the acoustic version of our NEW theme song. Check out the live version on this Youtube link.