Welcome to the 10th episode of Real Life Diabetes Podcast with guest Tonya Cameron – She’s a dear friend and mentor of Amber’s from her days of slinging pasta and chatting at Joe’s Taverna in Norman, OK. Tonya is a full time registered nurse, certified mirco-pigmentologist, lover of all things flora and fauna and a professional student according to her mother. Passionately devoted to a healthy lifestyle, her value in an Integrative Medicine Clinic is unquestioned. This gal can talk kale smoothies, load an IV, or give a botox injection while blowing your mind with her wealth of knowledge and opinions on all things health transformation. She’s the perfect DDG guest!
Integrative Medical Treatment – diet, supplements, IVs, adjunct therapy, amino acid complex
- N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine – Retinopathy
- Probiotics – Helps with gut biome
- Multivitamin – Douglas Labratories
Human beings are similar, but not the same. – Tonya
We are a #walkingscienceproject. It’s up to you to determine what’s best for your body.
- Eating dead food
- Sugar Addiction
- Glycemic Index – The glycemic index, or GI, measures how a carbohydrate-containing food raises blood glucose. – American Diabetes Association
Tonya embodies health – she shares a few thoughts.
- Knowledge is Power
- Have conversations with farmers about the process
- No one is a super hero, just do your best.
Glucose Tablets – Must HAVE.
The Power of Food
Amber: What would you tell someone who is interested in upping their game at the grocery store?
- Check out what’s in season
- Load up on nutrient foods
- You’ve done your research…
- Diversity in your food choices
Ryan plugs a few of his favorite foodie/lifestyle books:
- Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman: Really though, a must-read. Powerfully motivating if you’re a need to know the facts kind of person.
- Eat & Run by Scott Jurek: For the ultrarunner in all of us… or some of us, it strikes a vegan cord.
- The Engine 2 Diet: If a firefighter can spark a health movement, we all can. No offense firefighters.
- Meat Is For Pussies: It’s time to man up… whatever than means these days.
- Thrive: A How To Guide To Do Endurance Stuff In The Healthiest Way Imaginable
- Love to hear from T1D’s who have used this supplement
- Omega 3
- Vitamin D3
- Kyolic – aged garlic
- Bitter Melon Extract – Here’s some very non-conclusive research supporting a possible fat oxidation function
* Goal of supplement use: Prevent complications, limit inflammation and increase blood flow.
Check out the post about diabeetus.