In less than a week from our last podcast conversation with Clayton McCook, he managed to “close the loop”, by himself, with the help of many (including the NightScout Community). His focus is singular: restore as many childhood moments to his daughter’s life as possible, without diabetes hovering in the background. He walks us through the “closing the loop” steps and his bigger motivations. As a parent of a person with diabetes, if you’ve ever thought about tinkering with your gear to allow the CGM and pump talk, Clayton stands as proof that it’s possible to pull it off with determination, love, and a small desk somewhere.
- Do you or someone you know have diabetes? Would you like to share your story? We want to hear how you’ve lived your real life with the disease! Scope out what we look for in a guest post HERE!
- Amazon is kind enough to throw a little change our way whenever you click on this banner before shopping for all of your holiday goodies. You can bookmark it to make it easier for future shopping.
- We’re working on our next Ask Us Anything episode so drop us a question via the SpeakPipe link in the right side of your screen.
- Like, click or comment on what we’re up to via social media.
- Chronological story about Clatyon’s first steps in the journey… Check out Podcast 31 – A Non-Techie Father Finds Nightscout.
- Christine Deltrap – Her son Jack said while holding up an iPhone, “Momma built me a pancreas”
- Kate Farnsworth – another woman who wows working on closing the loop
- New Facebook Group – CGM in the cloud off topic
- The McCook family are currently using the Dexcom G4 Share because of her age and they like the range it allows.
- Closing the Loop Cliff Notes (per Clayton):
- The term, “automated insulin delivery system” more accurately describes the situation vs. artificial pancreas or closed loop.
- Shoutout to the folks who made it happen:
- Gitter chat room – a techie site who can help answer questions
- Clayton started with an open loop for days before diving into the closed loop. This system is incredibly complicated and requires a lot of input.
- We think Robby Barbaro would be the perfect candidate. Check out our chat with him on Podcast 34.
- Bigfoot Biomedical holds much promise in the world of actually providing this to all and affordable!
- Medtronic is releasing its first closed loop system this Spring. For real!!!
Cheers to the highs and lows everyone.
We’re excited to keep the episodes coming and could use your help. Check out the PayPal link below if you’re interested!