We echo this regularly on DiabetesDailyGrind, but it requires mentioning again–diabetes management is a reflection of our life’s balance. Despite our constant discourse on the topic, we have yet to discover the perfect balance. Yet, we have figured out a few things that work for us.
I like the power of a purposeful intention. When set with resolve, a single intention serves as your compass across a full day. Whether you write this intention in a journal (bedtime or morning), repeat it out loud, or scribble it on your bathroom mirror, find a way to make it stick, and watch yourself creatively impact the day with presence.
This list directly impacts the way we make diabetes and life decisions. Here we go:
- I will be present when making diabetes decisions
- I will think about where I want to be, not where I am right now
- I will respond, not react
- I will be mindful of my thoughts, watching for patterns out of the norm
- I will forgive myself for things I do when high or low, that do not reflect my best self
- I understand that today will bring uncertainty
- I get that I cannot control every facet of my blood sugar
- I will be open and vulnerable to others when I need their help
- I will not lose my cool when someone says the word “diabeetus”