Riding 800 carbs of fruit to steady glucose control? Huh? Robby Barbaro (a person with type 1 diabetes) joins the podcast from Santa Monica to bust paradigms by introducing the high-carb, low-fat philosophy to revolutionize type 2… and type 1 diabetes management. Currently, Robby is a plant-based diabetes coach: hosting retreats, 1-on-1 coaching sessions, and blogging from MindfulDiabetic.com. If you, like us, have always been curious about the mysteries of insulin resistance, this is the avenue to enlightenment. We laughed, we learned, and we left inspired to push the boundaries of our perceived diabetes knowledge. He walks the walk and talks the talk.
- Do you or someone you know have diabetes? Would you like to share your story? We want to hear how you’ve lived your real life with the disease! Scope out what we look for in a guest post HERE!
- Amazon is kind enough to throw a little change our way whenever you click on this banner before shopping for all of your holiday goodies. You can bookmark it to make it easier for future shopping.
- We’re working on our next Ask Us Anything episode so drop us a question via the SpeakPipe link in the right side of your screen.
- Ryan will be on the Dr. Oz show… All things HealthCorps. Check it out.
Like, click or comment on what we’re up to via our social media streams.
- Veg Amy was kind enough to introduce us to Robby. You can check out her T1D journey on Podcast 19: Venturing Into Uncharted Vegan Territory & Lower Insulin Levels.
- Robby’s parents diabetes philosophy – It’s only an inconvenience.
- A low fat, plant based diet can reverse insulin resistance.
- Plant based vs. the Ketosis Diet.
- Check out Dr. Bernstein’s book, Diabetes Solutions.
- You can measure insulin resistance for a T1D by the total amount of carbs/total units of insulin you take per day.
- Insulin resistance is a huge risk factor for heart problems.
- It’s not about the carbs, it about the type of carb.
- New web site coming soon… Robby partners with Dr. Khambatta, PHD.
- Robby loves Forks Over Knives as much as we do.
- A low fat, plant based diet can be affordable. Check out Jeff Novick.
- Robby chats with Adam about how he reversed his Type 2 diabetes.
- We’re talking about the whys…
- Type 1 vs. Type 2
- Bridging the gap vs. two totally separate diseases
- Once again, Dr. Ponder’s Sugar Surfing theory comes up.
- Insulin timing is HUGE. There are a few tweaks you can do with you diet to stop the BG spike.
- Go back to diabetes 101
- Know your carbs
- Know the ratio you tried
- Document it everyday to compare
- Play around with it.
- Use nutrition software.
- % of calories from fat
- Robby’s CGM on Thanksgiving Day (Total Carbs: 683 Total Insulin: 35 units (including short and long-term))