What’s the recipe for innovation? Funny you ask, we were thinking it went a little like this: timing, drive, wit, guts, luck, and a type 1 diabetes diagnosis. At least in Amy Tenderich’s story, all of those factors came together magically when she received her diagnosis in 2003.
Now a popular hashtag (#dblog) and convenient way to track the DOC (diabetes online community), dblogging needed its start. Amy pioneered dblogging. She launched DiabetesMine.com, an incredible patient resource for anyone interested in anything diabetes, with a journalistic slant. We love their honesty and connection, plus their interpretations of the latest diabetes research.
The DDG was pumped to have a trailblazer (who isn’t done lighting paths) on the show to discuss DiabetesMine’s story, her own experiences, and where we might be headed as a community.
- Do you or someone you know have diabetes? Would you like to share your story? We want to hear how you’ve lived your real life with the disease! Scope out what we look for in a guest blog HERE!
- Amazon is kind enough to throw a little change our way whenever you click on this banner before shopping. Isn’t it almost time for back to school shopping???? No? Well, everyone still needs a slip and slide.
- Amy’s post on her recent trip over to VEGAS.
- Glucose Tabs provide fast acting carbs… Here’s a link to Ryan’s favorite flavor!
- Shout out to Scott Johnson for being a pioneer in the #DOC.
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Alliance Health Network
- Diabetic Connect
- Ryan’s shares his thoughts about the advancements in T1D technology in The Long Way Back To Believing In Research.
- As Amy mentioned, she has dealt with Celiac Disease in addition to T1D. Actually, they’re a fairly common combo. Check out the symptoms HERE.
- Do you or someone you know have type 1 diabetes? You should check out TrialNet, an international network of researchers who are exploring ways to prevent, delay and reverse the progression of type 1 diabetes.
- Theme Song: We hope you enjoyed the acoustic version of our NEW theme song. Check out the live version on this Youtube link. We’re considering listing the jam on iTunes. Think we should? Let us know!
- Join the iTunes Review Contest right here.
We’re starting a revolution... On the 14th of every month, we ask PWDs to change their lancet. Yep, we know you can’t recall the last time you put in a new one so we’re banning together to make it happen. We dig hearing from you so post a picture using, #liberatethelancet and tag us in it. You’ll be cooler if you do.
Friendly Reminder – Each and every one of us is a #walkingscienceproject. Please join us on the journey of carb counting while living the real life.