At the age of 13, did an event define your career path? For Kelly, it happened. A PWD–the importance of using this term instead of a diabetic was discussed, too–he now counsels patients with diabetes on a daily basis as part of a diabetes clinic. His real perspective for patients is invaluable. He relates to the ineffectiveness of the 15–wait–15 rule. He understands what it’s like to do something you regret when low or high. He’s been in that spot, where no matter how much insulin you dial up, your blood just won’t come down. He can empathize.
We discussed how he became a diabetes health professional, his top advice, his approach to patients, the importance of the diabetes online community, and the story behind how he received his diabetes diagnosis, from a football coach. Kelly joined the DDG team over in Amber’s living room, on a sweltering Oklahoma summer day.
- Ryan’s personal favorite flavor of glucose tablets, that need to be in your nightstand!
- Looking to follow-up with Kelly? Here’s his Twitter handle: @wkmckeever
- Here’s an a1c calculator, depending on your average blood sugar.
- An official news report on Skinny Pants Syndrome.
- The book on southern eating, that Amber plans on remodeling for a PWD, On The Road Again by Morgan Murphy.
- The woman, we kind of mentioned wears the Omnipod on her arm, is Robin Arzon. IG: @robinnyc
- ***Let it also be noted, as Kelly explained, that he is currently in the process of earning his CDE credentials. Ryan blew that one in the intro. ***
- Anyone else felt a low blood sugar in a dream? Tell us about it below!
- Here’s an image we’ve seen around the doctor’s office that could use some person-first language editing:
The team, including audio engineer Jonathan Stapleton, celebrating another ridiculous podcast:
Big thanks to Sanofi for mentioning our podcast in their summary of the best diabetes podcasts!