In gearing up for this epic unicorn episode I sincerely reflected on the impact becoming a diabetes advocate has had on my life. Two of the first people I discovered were Kerri Sparling and Scott Johnson. I had found my people! Reading their stories and watching them present at various conferences gave me the courage to “really” find my voice. The podcast and blog posts have lifted a huge weight, one I didn’t realize was there. I am truly blessed.
- Diathrive – Affordable diabetes management on your own terms. Use coupon code UNICORN to score a bottle of 50 strips!
- DMP – The Diabetes App.
- Dr. Jody Stanislaw – A place for top notch education & support for T1Ds, and those who care for us.
- Dr. Topher Fox – “Helping people with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes be the hero in their own lives.”
- Hedia App – “We get you through the daily challenges and help to keep your diabetes in check.”
- Hygieia – A better way to use insulin.
- The Fincher Foundation –
Scott Johnson is an experienced patient advocate who has worked with a wide range of stakeholders across the healthcare environment to help them establish effective communication with the patient community. His expertise in the diabetes social media space is recognized worldwide. Today he is the Patient Success Manager, US for mySugr.com (all opinions are expressed are his own and do not necessarily represent the position of his employer) and continues to run his award-winning blog “Scott’s Diabetes” as time allows.
Scott is also a member of the Children with Diabetes faculty where he develops educational curriculums and content for the Friends of Life annual conference and regional events. He served on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors for the Diabetes Hands Foundation and was a founding member of Partnering for Diabetes Change, a coalition of people living with diabetes and industry representatives working to support culturally diverse and underserved communities. He is interested in how these types of interactions including peer-to-peer support, impact patient outcomes and routinely presents his work.
Kerri Sparling is a writer, poet, and speaker who has dedicated her life to the power of the patient narrative. Since 2005, she has been a leading voice in the patient advocacy space, sharing her personal story of over 34 years with type 1 diabetes and helping share stories of patient stories in the healthcare workplace, from academic journals to keynote presentations around the world.
She is best known for her work as a patient storyteller at SixUntilMe.com, and as author of Balancing Diabetes, (2014) and the poetry anthology, Rage Bolus (2020). Keep up with Kerri’s latest works at Kerrisparling.com.
- The Affiliate Page is now Live!
- If you want to get involved shoot Penelope an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Just the Facts Please podcast series will soon launch featuring industry leaders and experts in the medical field. Please contact Penelope if you’re interested in learning more.