Throughout his epic adventure, Mike went from couch potato to dropping around 100 lbs. in order to fulfill his dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail all while adjusting his diabetes management. It takes a lot of courage to completely overhaul your habits! His ability to plan all things hiking for 5+ months AND throwing in all the diabetes supplies traveling cross country blows my mind. This is only the beginning as he soon off to his next adventure.
Courage Endures mission is to help those with chronic illness navigate their life long journey through movement and community. They recognize, promote, and celebrate those who choose courage over challenge on their pursuit towards health, happiness and optimal living.
Having Diabetes since 1996, Mike Joyce has a decade of experience with MDI and a decade with pump therapy. This combination has helped him surpass his expectations for treatment goals. Adding a CGM to his tool belt was also a game changer for providing him real time data for the food he eats. This treatment coupled with dietary changes created an environment for him to take on endurance sports. Mike has run several ultra marathons and backpacked the entire 2,192 miles Appalachian Trail in 2019. He continues to chase dreams of adventure and is spend the summer of 2020 exploring the great outdoors near Moab, Utah followed by a thru-hike attempt of the Pacific Northwest Trail from Glacier National Park in Montana to the Olympic Coast in Washington. Feel free to follow him on his adventure at www.instagram.com/sweet.hiking
WATCH ON YOUTUBE:
- Please support the advocacy efforts and future podcasts by making a donation.
- The Affiliate Page is live!!
- If you would like to join this list of reputable brands, contact Penelope at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Just the Facts Please podcast series will soon launch featuring industry leaders and experts in the medical field. Please contact Penelope if you’re interested in learning more.
- Stay engaged by joining the private Real Life Diabetes Virtual Happy Hour Facebook group.
- Leave an iTunes review
- Sign up for the Diabetes Daily Grind Newsletter
- Stay Engaged: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, & Pinterest
Please note: We are not giving medical advice, but only sharing our story and management about life with diabetes. Please seek medical advice from your regular GP or endocrinologist before changing your diabetes regimen.