Reverend Bales story was one I could not pass up. While many of us living Type 1 diabetes quarantined, he hit the front line to serve the homeless community on Skid Row. He has lived with T1D for 48 years and hasn’t let this disease keep him from achieving his goals both physically and professionally. He is truly a hero!
Courage Endures mission is to help those with chronic illness navigate their life long journey through movement and community. They recognize, promote, and celebrate those who choose courage over challenge on their pursuit towards health, happiness and optimal living.
Since the winter of 1985, when Andy preached a message to his students about the importance of feeding hungry people and never turning your back on a hurting person 6 times on a Friday, only to not practice what he preached when a hungry man asked him for his sandwich while Andy working a 2nd job on the weekends.
Since then, Andy has been haunted by the thought of leaving one precious human being on the streets. He use to look through people digging out of dumpsters or living on the streets but immediately, that “haunting” turned into action, as Andy has led four non-profits addressing homelessness in Des Moines, Iowa, Pasadena and now at Union Rescue Mission of Los Angeles.
During Andy’s time, URM has completed a Capital Campaign to open the magnificent Hope Gardens Family Center for moms and children, and senior ladies and is nearing completion of a $50 Million Capital Campaign to open a URM satellite for 86 families devastated by homelessness in South LA County.
Andy has played a significant role in addressing hospital dumping of patients, regionalizing services and influencing Los Angeles to take urgent action to address homelessness. When Andy lost his right leg to a flesh eating disease present on Skid Row, the LA City Council declared a shelter emergency.
Andy and wife Bonnie have 6 children, 7 grandchildren, and have helped parent 25 foster children throughout the years.
WATCH ON YOUTUBE:
- Courage Endures
- Union Rescue Mission
- URM Walk
- Amazing Stories from Skid Row Podcast
- Rev Andy’s Blog
- American Disabilities Act
- Please support the advocacy efforts and future podcasts by making a donation.
- The Affiliate Page is live!!
- If you would like to join this list of reputable brands, contact Penelope at email@example.com.
- The Just the Facts Please podcast series will soon launch featuring industry leaders and experts in the medical field. Please contact Penelope if you’re interested in learning more.
- Stay engaged by joining the private Real Life Diabetes Virtual Happy Hour Facebook group.
- Leave an iTunes review
- Sign up for the Diabetes Daily Grind Newsletter
- Stay Engaged: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, & Pinterest
Please note: We are not giving medical advice, but only sharing our story and management about life with diabetes. Please seek medical advice from your regular GP or endocrinologist before changing your diabetes regimen.