After decades of frustrating results and fed up with the type 1 diabetes roller coaster, Allison completely changed her life and diabetes management by switching to a low carb lifestyle. She took her new way of eating seriously and lost 55+ pounds and was able to get off all medications with the exception of insulin. This journey fueled her desire to learn more about how her own T1D body worked and to then share her message with others. Allison jumped head first into a series of nursing degrees and coaching certifications including pregnancy and pre-diabetes coaching. She is the real deal exemplifying how to both live well and support others in their journey with diabetes and achieving normalized blood sugars!
Drs. Matt and Jennifer Brooks know the diabetes game as they have a son living with type 1 diabetes. In addition to glasses and contact lenses, Innovative Eyecare provide medical care including treatment and management of glaucoma, makular degeneration, cataracts, red eyes, eye-related urgent care, dry eyes, eye allergies, and of course diabetes. They have a whole section of their practice dedicated to people living with diabetes. Use the discount code DAILYGRIND at checkout for 50% off your Optomap Retinal Screening photos. Code is valid through September 30, 2020.
Allison is a Registered Nurse, Certified Diabetes Educator and lifelong type 1 diabetic (diagnosed at 18 months in 1981).
After 29 years of suboptimal control, despite following doctors instructions and ADA guidelines, she was able to normalize her blood sugars utilizing Dr. Richard K. Bernstein’s low-carb protocols from his book, “Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution”. Wanting to share this knowledge, she decided to go back to school to obtain her RN. She attained her Associate’s of Applied Science in Nursing in 2016 and her BSN from Western Governor’s University in 2018. She completed the board certification in diabetes, or CDCES (formerly known as CDE or Certified Diabetes Educator) in 2018 as well.
Allison is co-founder and admin of TypeOneGrit™, a 3000+ member group of type 1 diabetics and their families who follow Dr. Bernstein’s protocols. She also leads two pregnancy groups for diabetes and specializes in diabetes in pregnancy. She is employed as a diabetes coach for diaVerge Diabetes and offers coaching for Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes, and Pre-diabetes.
Allison is currently writing a book on type 1 and pregnancy with a low-carb focus. She is also a wife and mom to 3 healthy children. Allison and her family currently reside in Athens, Alabama.
- Innovative Eyecare
- Innovative Eyecare Frame Gallery
- Pinterest TYPEONEGRIT
- DietDoctor – Low Carb Diet
- YouTube – Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
- Please support the advocacy efforts and future podcasts by making a donation.
- The Affiliate Page is live!!
- If you would like to join this list of reputable brands, contact Penelope at email@example.com.
- The Just the Facts Please podcast series will soon launch featuring industry leaders and experts in the medical field. Please contact Penelope if you’re interested in learning more.
- Stay engaged by joining the private Real Life Diabetes Virtual Happy Hour Facebook group.
- Leave an iTunes review
- Sign up for the Diabetes Daily Grind Newsletter
- Stay Engaged: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, & Pinterest