Can you imagine being diagnosed with T1D and five years later stating you’re in the best health of your life? In this episode, we’ll be learning more about my new friend from the land down unda’, Astra-Lia ‘Ozzy’ England. Several years ago, Ozzy would receive news from the doctor that would shake her world; a T1D diagnosis. In a matter of weeks, she went from living a relatively normal life (albeit with Celiac disease) to being put on insulin therapy. Her fiery personality and unapologetic curiosity about life with diabetes made her the perfect guest.
Ozzy (Astral-Lia England) is a wonderful and dynamic person, currently residing in Melbourne, Australia. She had just finished studying her degree in acting when she became very ill after drinking champagne at a wedding. For the next several months she experienced symptoms that prompted her to go to a GP for what she thought was a urinary tract infection. After some tests, she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and began insulin therapy. The news was startling, to say the least, and came as a shock because while Ozzy already had to deal with Celiac disease, she had no genetic history of T1D and lived a relatively healthy lifestyle. Ozzy, being the incredible woman she is, she learned the ins and outs of dealing with her disease. Today she is on a mission to raise awareness on the impact that diabetes has in Australia and raise money for further study with Diabetes Australia. Ozzy is now an actress and will soon be featured on TV- “Adventure All-Stars.” She also has a side hustle, Ozzy T1D Mozzy, selling fun merch for those with diabetes with 10% of funds going into research.
Shout out to those who invested in me and the Diabetes Daily Grind early on. Would you like to get involved? Hit us up at penelope@diabetesdailygrind(dot)com to learn more about how you can join our efforts to provide support and resources for ALL people living with diabetes and their loved ones.
- Connect with Ozzy on Instagram
- Be sure to support her amazing campaign by visiting https://diabetesaustraliafundraiser.raisely.com/astra-lia-england
- Check out https://www.ozzyt1dmozzy.com/, Ozzy’s side project, and get your T1D merch and have some fun. Remember, 10% of the profits go to diabetes research.
- It would make my heart happy if you left an iTunes review.
- Please join me for the Real Life Diabetes Virtual Happy Hour each Thursday from 5 – 6:15 pm CST. CLICK HERE to register.
- The Just the Facts Please podcast series, featuring experts and leaders in the medical field will soon be LIV. Stay tuned!
- We’re gearing up for the 100th Unicorn episode. You should join our 100 for 100 campaign. Contact Penelope for more information.