Pregnancy’s intimidating. Your body changes. There’s another thing in there stealing the food you eat. You crave things like pickles and peanut butter. But, with all this normal stuff aside, what if you have type 1 diabetes and you’re pregnant? Sarah Swanberg walks us through both of her pregnancies–the blood sugar challenges, perilous diet decisions, and lessons learned. Per the norm, we held nothing back, and explored every pregnancy/diabetes-related question known to man. After the interview, Amber and Ryan looked at each other and said, “She’s freakin’ awesome” (give or take a few adjectives).
More about Sarah; she’s the owner of Fairfield Family Acupuncture in Stamford, CT and a board certified diplomate in Acupuncture and Chinese Herbology through the National Certification Commission of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM). She holds a Masters of Science in Traditional Oriental Medicine from Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in NYC. Sarah lives in North Stamford, CT with her husband and two daughters.
- Would you like to share your story? How do you live your creative, real life with the diabetes? Scope out what we look for in a guest post HERE!
- Sarah’s endocrinologist shared an important message when she newly diagnosed – “You don’t have to be a diabetic, you can be a person with diabetes”.
- Quick plug about Podcast 17: Straight CSI Crime Scene: What It’s Like To Raise Two T1D Boys with guest contributor Trish Winters.
- Another shout out to Dexcom. We’re all Dexing and our loved ones are tapped in.
- Reference to a recent post, Owning Our Inner Monster, Vampire or Other Creature
- We all LOVE how Beyond Type 1 brought us together.
- Our buddy Anthony Hightower is one helluva JDRF bike advocate. You should check him out.
- Amazon is kind enough to throw a little change our way whenever you click on this banner before shopping for all of your holiday goodies. You can bookmark it to make it easier for future shopping.
- Sarah’s gearing up for your FIRST 100 mile JDRF ride this summer.
- Find the right team when you decide to consider getting pregnant. It’s okay to challenge your doctors.
- Where do you put a pump site when you’re pregnant…?
- Who’s running the BG control when you’re in labor…?
- Look into a therapist and find an exercise routine.
Just in case you missed Sarah’s first guest post – Uncover A Balanced Life… Or Something Like It (Advice From An Acupuncturist & T1D).
Please let us know if you want us to chat about a particular topic for bring on a guest… Shoot us an email.
We would LOVE an iTunes review. It helps us immensely!
We’re excited to keep the episodes coming and could use your help. Check out the PayPal link below if you’re interested! We want to be clear – we’re not a 501c3, just hoping you’ll throw some change our way so we can cover the costs of publishing a new episode.
Cheers to the highs and lows everyone.