I know what you’re thinking – Cashew Cheese???? I’m not a vegan, but am staying with friends who are vegetarians and I’m always eager to learn a new recipe. One sunny afternoon, Craig whipped together a batch of cashew cheese. Cashew cheese was a foreign concept to me so I was pleasantly surprised by how amazingly similar it tasted to cheese. This recipe is simple, good for you and a great replacement for dairy. Enjoy.
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 1hr or more)
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO DO IT:
- Soak, drain and rinse cashews
- Place all ingredients in food processor
- Blend until smooth (feel free to add more water should you desire a different consistency)
We kept our cashew cheese plain, but should you live on the wild side, you could add Ro*Tel (queso), truffle oil, sun-dried tomatoes or olives. The options are endless – so get creative!
I might try to trick my friends into eating this healthy snack…. I’ll keep you posted.